Tiles are popular flooring options because they require easy maintenance. Their use is no longer limited to bathrooms as more and more homeowners now prefer using them in daily different rooms and living spaces. They are now even used as wall decors and accents. Tiles may be easy to maintain but homeowners are still not exempt from problems. This post will enlist the most common tile issues and their solutions.
5 Common Tile Issues and Their Solutions
Moisture causes mold in tiles. Bathroom tiles often encounter this issue because of excessive moisture in the space. It’s never a good scenario because molded tiles breed bacteria. You don’t want your bathroom to be a bacteria-breeding ground so you better avoid this problem.
To effectively prevent this, do the following:
- Clean and dry your tiles regularly.
- Regularly clean your tiles by keeping a consistent weekly schedule
- Always keep your bath mats and towels clean
- Hang your wet towels in well-ventilated spaces
- Keep your tiles dry at all times
- Open your bathroom door and windows after you’re done using the shower. Doing this will allow for excess moisture to leave the space.
- Always open your shower door when the shower is not being used
- Run your bathroom’s exhaust fan for at least 20 minutes after showering
- Always wipe down the shower floor and shower walls after taking a bath
2. Stains on Grout
Grouts are more porous than tiles. Porous materials have minute holes where liquid can easily seep through. This is why tile grouts absorb more liquid. Such liquid exposure results in staining. Cleaning solutions can also result in stained grout.
To protect your grout from staining, you should do the following:
- Properly seal your grout. Sealed grouts effectively protect from liquid seepage.
- Choose the proper sealant. Do this by contacting professionals. Your grout may need a particular sealant. Using the wrong sealant may cause damage.
- Vacuum your floor as frequently as possible. Vacuuming at least once a week is highly advisable.
- Clean your grout on a daily basis.
- Bathroom grouts should be dried by wiping after shower use.
- Use baking soda paste once you notice that your grout is stained
- Use a bleach pen for concentrated application of a stain-removing solution
- If stains won’t give in to your DIY hacks, you should consider grout renewal. You may contact GIB Tiling Perth for such a need. They could do the job for you in just hours.
3. Stains on Tiles
Stains on tiles are also problematic. This often causes by using damaging cleaning solutions. You’re in luck if your tile stains are caused by strong cleaning solutions because you could be in deeper trouble if it’s caused by water leaks.
Water can get beneath tiles and you’d only find out about it once you see stains. Stains are often a sign that it’s already too late. Stains often signal that water leaks have already greatly damaged your tile. Water leaks should not be a problem if your tiles are properly sealed. Tile stains look white on the surface.
You don’t have a water leak issue if your tiles have cloudy or milky stains. Such stains are caused by strong cleaning solutions. It can also cause if you used the wrong tile sealer.
It’s best to call professionals if the problem is caused by the use of the wrong sealer. Fixing it on your own may cause further damage.
4. Leaking Shower
A leaking shower is a very big problem. It can cause many negative effects which are as follows:
- Tile cracks
- Leaking pipes
- Loose tiles
- Damaged grout
- Seal failure
- Waterproofing failure
- Building movement
Shower leaks cause too much trouble because it is not easily noticeable. It’s only noticing when tiles stain or crack. And once such signs show up, it already means that the damage is already big. To avoid such a scenario, you should be on the lookout for the following signs:
- Rotting door frames
- The rotting floorboards
- Rotting skirtings
- Soggy walls and ceilings in adjacent rooms
- Damp walls and ceilings in adjacent rooms
- Mould in walls and ceilings in adjacent rooms
- Discoloration on walls and ceilings in adjacent rooms
- Damp carpet near the shower
- The presence of ants or termites
- Malfunctioning light fittings
- Malfunctioning electrical wiring
- Structural rots
Shower leaks should always attend to urgently. You should contact professionals immediately if you notice any of the following signs. Ignoring shower leaks will cause you much damage as it can even affect the structural integrity of your home.
5. Loosened Tiles
Loose tiles can cause many headaches. Loosened tiles are more often a sign of bigger and graver tile problems like shower leaks. When left unnoticed, you’d just be left shock once you see your tiles separate from its slab. You wouldn’t want to wait for this to happen.
They’re not as noticeable so your should watch out for the following signs:
- Hollow-sounding tiles
- Tiles produce a sound that seems to be grinding
The following causes loosened tiles:
- Shower leaks
- Lack of adhesive
- Lack of control joints
- A drastic change in temperature
- Failure to use proper setting materials during installation
- Failure to consider contraction, expansion, and movement during tile installation
To ensure that you don’t experience stress from loosened tiles, make it a point to regularly check your bathroom for shower leaks. I hope now you have a clear idea of these common tile issues and their solutions. If you have yet to have your tiles installed, ensure that you choose experts that truly know what they’re doing. Working with amateurs can end up costing you so much more as you’d need to spend on repairs in the future.