Our fixtures, appliances and services make a home liveable. These elements ensure the smooth functioning of a home. Every household is familiar with the sink clogging up and several other issues in the kitchen and bathrooms. The time when the water starts taking a bit longer to drain until it stops draining it completely. If this happens often in your homes then the best way to solve is to remove the stopper to allow the unblocking of the drainpipe. However, this is an easy job in itself to do, if you want to find how you can fix your sink in some easy steps with a bathroom sink stopper then read along.
What is a Bathroom Sink Stopper?
A bathroom sink stopper when inserted can be pulled upwards with a lift rod. It pulls up the pivot rod also that is attached to the stopper. Once this is done, the sink can be sealed effectively, it stops the leakage within your bath and kitchen spaces.
8 Tools Required to Remove Sink Stopper
Before you start the process to remove sink stopper you need to assemble these 8 lists of tools. The tools to remove a bathroom sink stopper are easy to use and are readily available in your home.
- Flashlight – A regular household flashlight can be useful if there is not a provision of light under the sink. In case of making any cuts, having a flashlight can be handy.
- Wrench – In some cases the nuts are fastened tightly, to loosen them up easily, you will need either a wrench or a plier for the same.
- Brush – You can take an old toothbrush to clean the sink stopper once it is removed.
- Vinegar – To clean a sink stopper, vinegar can be useful. Although it is not a necessary item, you can even skip that.
- Regular Detergent – To clean the sink stopper you can use any handy home detergent for the same.
- Bucket – While you remove the sink stopper, there is a chance that the sink might leak, t avoid this, you can use a bucket while unscrewing the nuts.
- Hair Clog removal tools – When you remove sink stopper, there may be hair or other gunk stuck within it, to remove that you can use a hair clog removal tool. These are inexpensive tools that have a long piece of plastic with hooks, they can easily pull out hair and any other gunk.
- Drainer Cleaner liquid – Once the bathroom sink stopper is removed you can use this to clean the inside of the drainpipe. As it is necessary to put back everything in place once you have removed the sink stopper, you can give it a quick clean with a drainer cleaner liquid.
A 9 Step Guide on How to Remove a Bathroom Sink Stopper
The methods on this “How to remove sink stopper” are very easy. Once you have all the necessary materials and tools ready with you, you can follow this 9 step guide to remove sink stopper.
Step 1 – Remove Sink Stopper Manually
Some sink stoppers can be removed by hand without any special mechanized tools or techniques. You can simply start by lifting the sink stoppers and turning them. This is the easiest way on the ‘how to remove sink stopper’ list!
Step 2 – Remove All the Items Under the Sink
If you can’t remove sink stopper manually, then you need to go under the sink and remove all the items stored under it. We generally have a habit to store many home utilities under this space. You need to make sure that all these items are cleaned to easily do the maintenance work. For fixing a sink, you need enough space to manoeuvre around it, therefore it is necessary to effectively do this step.
Step 3 – Access the Horizontal Plunger Rod
To further access the sink stopper, take your flashlight and put your head under the sink. You need to access the horizontal rod that is a connection of the sink stopper to the strap. It is easy to identify, as it is a vertical strap that has a piece of metal with holes in it. This is one of the best methods to remove sink stopper.
Step 4 – Locate the Clip That Is Attached to the Rod and Strap
Once you locate the strap and the rod, you will notice that they both are fixed together with a small metal clip. You can remove this clip to stop the connection between the rod and the strap. This metal clip is important in the ‘how to remove sink stopper’ process, therefore, it is recommended that you keep it somewhere safe.
You need to identify the hole in the strap on which the rod is fitted before you remove the slip. This way it will be easier for you to fix it back in no time. You take a quick picture to make sure, that you don’t forget the location of the metal clip.
Step 5 – Unscrew the Pivot Nut
To remove the bathroom sink stopper, the detached rod has to be attached to a pivot nut. Post this you need to unscrew them. There are chances that after this process your sink might start to leak. You can place a bucket under the sink to carry the water that comes out of the loosened nuts.
To access the sink stopper, you can further loosen this nuts with your hands. If it cant be loosened by hands, you will need to use either a plier or a wrench.
In case if the pipe is blocked, there is a high chance that water might come gushing out. It will be messy, therefore make sure that you are taking proper precautions.
Step 6 – Remove the Bathroom Sink Stopper
The step on ‘How to remove sink stopper’, is to just pull it out from the sink with your hands. There is a high chance that all the gunk that was blocked might come gushing out. Although, this is a great opportunity to give your sink a good clean. You can use a small brush to clean this entire area.
If you wish to give this a good clean, you can even use a detergent and vinegar along with some warm water to make sure that the sink is clean enough.
Step 7 – Removing the Hair
After you remove sink stopper, you can make sure that all the hair and gunk is out of the hole. This will also ensure that you don’t have to access the sink stopper for a long while. Use the hair remover tools for this, they are easy to use and help in cleaning out the gunk in no time.
Step 8 – Wash It Down with a Drain-Cleaning Product
Before you put the plug back in, you can give your drain pipe a good clean. You can follow the instructions on the drain cleaning product. You can simply pour it into the drain and leave it for some time. It usually takes ten minutes for the product to d its job. After this, you can flush it down the sink. When the water flows down easily, it’s a sign that the sink is unclogged from your blocked drain.
Step 9 – Resemble Everything Back to Its Original Place
Once you have cleaned up your entire sink, you can put everything back in its place by simply following all the given steps in reverse order. You can start by putting the sink stopper in the hole. Next, screw the nuts back to their place and tighten them again. Use pliers or wrenches for this purpose.
Reattach the rods to the straps using the clips. You can later test the sink stopper to make sure it’s working and then the job is finished!
Also Read: 11 Exquisite Yet Affordable Mid Century Modern Bathroom Ideas
Tips on How to Remove Bathroom Sink Stopper
Here are a few extra tips that you can use to remove the sink stopper with ease.
- Find the matching parts if you need to replace or remove them. You need to make sure that you find the exact match to avoid any further inconvenience.
- When doing this kind of critical work, make sure that you keep a tray aside to place all your parts safely in it. You can keep a bowl or a tray handy so all the parts stay in one place.
- To remove the sink stopper, wear rubber gloves as the gunk, hair and all the spoilt material can be a daily unpleasant task. You don’t want to be touching all that mess with your bare hands, therefore rubber gloves are a must!
- Make sure that you are keeping a check of your sinks conditions and acting quickly rather than later. Take the work for the sink stopper as a priority. When it starts to drain slowly, treat it as a sign to get your rubber gloves on.
- The bathroom sink stopper and its maintenance is a fairly easy task if you keep a time to time update of ist conditions. Make sure that you are not delaying this, as more the delay, more the gunk!
Why You Should DIY to Remove Sink Stopper?
Calling out plumbers and other technicians is a fairly expensive affair. Moreover, the process to remove sink stopper is an easy one. You just need to have the right set of tools and equipment to make sure that you’re doing it right. With our simple 9 step guide on how to remove bathroom sink stopper, we are sure that you will get it done in no time!
For more architectural guidance and home improvement ideas, keep coming to Interiorcraze.