If you want to repair your ceiling or just want to fill the unpleasing drywall seams, texturing is the perfect idea for you. Texturing a wall gives a fresh look to ceilings and walls. It adds a unique and exciting touch to your old walls. Also, it is a pocket-friendly idea of making your room new when you do it by yourself. You might think it is a tough job to do but with the right equipment and tools, you will complete the task in no time. Various tools such as combs, sponges, and whisk brooms can be used to texture a wall or ceiling. You will get the finished and polished walls that give a stunning look. Wondering how to texture a wall?
Here is your read:
Types of Texture Paints
There are different patterns and textures from which you have to choose for your space that will add extra beauty to the ceiling. A few of the types of textures are below:
- Smooth texture paint: Although its name suggests a smooth texture, it does not give the smooth look. You will get the stucco or plaster look and you will need tools like a trowel or putty knife to apply it.
- Sand texture paint: It is an extra-heavy-bodied finish that gives a gritty texture to both walls and ceilings. You can either buy paint that is pre-mixed with sand or you can control the amount of texture that you require by using a silica sand additive in normal paint.
- Knockdown texture: By applying a joint compound you will get the marbled texture that can be painted any color. It is really popular for the ceiling.
- Popcorn texture: It is also known as acoustic drywall texture that gives a heavy, puffy ceiling texture. But remember, once it is applied you cannot remove it by yourself. To remove it you have to call help from professionals.
- Orange peel texture: By spraying plaster onto drywall you will get orange peel texture. It gives the soft bumps texture just like an orange peel.
How to Texture a Drywall
There are various ways to texture a wall. By following the simple steps, you can get the required pattern or texture. Here are the steps are written below about how to texture drywall for various textures:
Know How to Texture a Wall with Joint Compound
It is an easy way to texture your wall by simulating a stucco finish with drywall mud. Drywall mud is nothing but a joint taping compound and you can get that at any home improvement store. The results will be satisfying with the joint compound. Also, it is very easy to use. If by mistake you mess it up a little, you do not have to worry about it because you can easily wipe away the mistake and start again. Here are the steps to apply to texture your wall with joint compound:
- To begin with, clean the walls and let them dry properly.
- According to the manufacturer’s instructions, mix the joint compound with water. The mixture should also get the consistency of a thick batter.
- Now spread it on the wall by using a trowel or wide putty knife.
- If you want a stucco-like texture, put a sponge into the compound mixture and tap it on the wall right until you reach your desired texture.
- For a crosshatched or ridged type texture, you should use a notched trowel to draw lines into the joint compound.
- Also, you can apply the knockdown texture by applying the joint compound; you have to stamp it onto the wall or ceiling with a brush. After stamping, the brush leaves peaks behind, now you have to use a putty knife to scrape that away. But don’t apply too much pressure which will erase all the texture while you are smoothing the wall out.
- Once you are completed with the look, go away from the wall and look for touch-ups. Add or remove joint compound as per need.
- To end the process you have to paint the wall but before painting let the wall dry for at least 24 hours.
Know How to Texture a Wall with a Texture Sprayer
A drywall texture sprayer is a must when you want to get an orange peel texture on the walls or a popcorn texture on the ceiling. It is similar to a paint sprayer. It is best to evenly apply dense joint compounds on large areas of the wall or ceiling. Here are the stepwise instructions to give an orange peel texture to your walls with the help of a texture sprayer:
- Start by cleaning your wall and let them dry properly.
- Mix the joint compound with the required amount of water as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Here you may need to add a little bit of extra water to the mixture, therefore, you have to read both the compound manufacturer’s instructions and the sprayer’s instructions.
- These sprays are a little messy, so you need to cover your furniture and other items with plastic drop sheets.
- Now pour the joint compound into the texture sprayer’s hopper and adjust the nozzle and airflow of the sprayer as per your desire. By increasing the airflow of the sprayer, there will be a decrease in the amount of compound sprayed onto the wall and vice versa.
- You need to slowly use it and maintain a uniform texture on each wall to get a perfect result.
- To complete the look all you have to do is paint the wall with the desired color. But you have to wait until the wall is all set for the paint which will take approximately 24 hours.
Know How to Texture a Wall with a Sponge
Create a faux texture finish by just using a paint sponge. This is the simplest and easiest idea to add texture to the wall without adding heavy layers of joint compound on it. You can select either regular paint or textured paint for coloring the wall. It also only requires a few materials and you do not need to have any past painting experience. This method takes less time in comparison to other methods of texturing the wall because you do not have to worry about the extra drying time. Here are the steps to apply texture to your wall with the help of a sponge:
- To start, you have to ensure that the wall should be fully clean and dried before starting the process of texturing the wall.
- You have to choose the underlying color and normally paint the wall with that chosen color. Let the paint dry completely.
- If you want a striking effect, dip the sponge in the paint of color that would contrast with the underlying color. But to keep it simple you can also choose the same underlying color for soaking the sponge.
- Now dab the soaked sponge on the walls such that it creates random, textured walls patterns. You have to dab the sponge on the wall until you create a wall of your liking.
- You can choose either Sea sponges or synthetic sponges. If you chose a sea sponge, your pattern will be more irregular and natural, and by using synthetic sponges the pattern will more likely be uniform and rectangular.
- Remember to paint in corners you need to cut the sponge into narrow strips.
Know How to Texture a Wall with a Roller
It is easy to create a faux finish texture with the help of rollers. You can add texture with joint compound or textured walls paint and also with regular paint.
Here are the step by step instructions for texturing the wall with joint compound or textured paint written below:
- Clean the wall and let it fully dry.
- Mix the joint compound with the required amount of water as per the manufacturer’s instructions and after mixing put the mix into a paint tray.
- Take a paint roller and dip it in the joint compound mix. Now, roll it onto the wall. Wait until the joint compound partially dries. You can also choose a thick-nap roller cover which will give you a more defined texture.
- When the wall partially dries, roll another layer of the mix on the wall which will give the wall a pleasing 3-dimensional texture. But remember to texturize corners you have to use a brush.
- Now, paint the wall with your favourite color but before that, you have to wait until the compound completely dries, which will take approximately 24 hours.
Also Read: 11+ Wainscoting bathroom Ideas for a Bath Filled With Texture and Character!
When to Call a Professional?
If you need to complete the work fast and the area is too large for you, it is best to ask for help from professionals. They usually use an air-compressor texture sprayer that gives all possible textures in just a few hours.
If you would like to change the boring look of your wall or your ceiling, you should try texturing. It is a simple, easy, convenient, and cost-friendly method. You can easily know how to texture a wall ceiling by following the above instructions.
For more architectural guidance and home improvement ideas, keep coming to Interiorcraze.